One "AWESOME" Dreamer

Thing 1 had this to say about Martin Luther King, Jr.: "AWESOME!"

Thing 2 piped in to elaborate on King's achievements all before the age of 39...and then kindly pointed out that I was 43 and had not been nearly so successful in my own attempts at change. He continued by sharing that King's untimely death left him unable to continue his work and, "At least you're still kicking, mom."

Um...thanks.

I love how my kids hold the mirror in my face to enlarge the flaws and foibles of my life. I suppose they would say I do the same to them... only in reminders to sit up straight (yes, people still say that), chew with your mouth closed, finish your homework, pick up your stuff, turn off the television, and please take the dog out. My biggest fear as a parent has always been that the less desirable habits of my children are merely a reflection of my own. It has come to pass that this isn't always true. Who we are is who we are, and I have to remind myself daily to draw out and capitalize on the good while embracing the "quirks" as part of our individuality.
Martin Luther King, Jr., I hope, would see that I am fighting the good fight right along with him despite the snail's pace of my progress (thanks for the reminder, Thing 2). I don't have legions following in my wake, but what I do have are two sincerely curious children wondering out loud at the world.

"Whaaaat??? A woman could not vote?"

"Huh? A black person had to ride where?"

"Hey! I thought you told us love is love...people can't marry who they want?"

"You told me getting married is a choice... and I choose NOT to get married....but if I did, who cares who I marry?"

Kids will do that to you...force y0u to explain a world that even you don't even get sometimes.

King's dream lives on, I think, because we just don't want to give up on something that seems attainable and profoundly...human. Whether you have to explain the world to a kid or not, how children perceive and interpret the world affects all of us.

Because of my kids, I am left with no other choice but to keep moving toward the light of justice and opportunity for every person. I may be no Martin Luther King, Jr., but a girl, too, can dream.


Comments

  1. Tell your kids you do have legions following in your wake. Even if the scale is a little smaller. You do great things and your op-ed work is brilliant and inspirational. But i hear ya. My son does the same thing for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn...what do YOU think? Leave a comment to join the discussion!