To Write or Clean the Fridge

Sometimes I wake up and things are just sort of brewing in my head. I make an attempt to go with it, stall out, and head to find something mundane to do. I never need to look far since we are just not capable of ever looking like the pages of Better Homes and Gardens.  Unlike an auntie we have (we love you, Alison, despite our envy) who manages to keep a clean house, raise a toddler,  AND read books, I usually only do one of those things and we know which one it is.  At any rate, cleaning out the fridge seems like a worthy task but takes longer than it should. First, the clean dishes need to be put away so I can load the dishwasher with all of the empty containers discovered through tossing things I saved out of respect for waste yet NO ONE EVER INTENDED TO EAT IN THE FIRST PLACE. The smells get to me and suddenly I am using cleaning products I am not really familiar with since I DON'T CLEAN.  But, since I am at it, I may as well go all the way.

Fifteen minutes becomes an hour and the ideas that were brewing are still there but now I need a shower. This is good because some of my best work has come to me in the shower. But now it's too late to get back to it because round 1 of whatever commitments I have for the day are upon me and I am off.

Oh well.

None of this is earth shattering. All successful writers do one thing- they write.  I wonder, though, if anyone ever looks in their fridge?

Comments