What's it worth to you?

Recently I drove 15 hours for a surprise party that lasted 4 hours. This party was for a good friend that I have kept since my first teaching job in southern Iowa. It seemed like a crazy thing to do, but as the pieces fell together I knew it had to be done. Too often I opt out of things like this just because it's hard and messy. It seems like things can get complicated easily and when you have to get others involved just to make something work for you, it just seems like too much. But I am so glad I did it. I saw people I hadn't seen in 15 years not to mention my friend who started crying when she saw me. This person has the biggest heart and the biggest laugh and the room was filled with people who love her. What a sight. And I was so happy to be a part of it. How wonderful to receive smiles from people that I used to work with- sincere hugs and curiosity about my life. I started my professional career with many of these people and they were so good to me. It was humbling to remember their generosity. So often things like this are about the person being honored or remembered, but it ends up being so gratifying to you. It seems selfish and selfless at the same time. I am not going to pass judgement on anyone who opts for easy- I have done it often and will likely do so in the future. Life is messy. But I do think to myself, hey girl- the mess is the fun part. Get messy. It pays off.

Comments